Railwaymen hit the buffers dropping out of top six

Adam Learoyd levels for Didcot Town. Picture: Roger Neal

A late winner dented Didcot Town’s play-off hopes after Saturday’s 4-3 defeat against Mangotsfield United forced them out of the top six.

Kye Simpson completed his hat-trick in the 90th minute to condemn the Railwaymen to a first home defeat since November.

Simpson fired past Leigh Bedwell to give the away side the lead after just four minutes, and it was the same man who doubled their advantage just before the half-hour mark.

Morgan Williams reduced the deficit for Diddy on 36 minutes when goalkeeper Lochlan Robertson parried Callum McNish’s effort into his path.

And Town were level moments later when Adam Learoyd nodded home an equaliser.

However, Andy Ballard’s men made a slow start to the second half and Mangotsfield retook the lead on 47 minutes when Jordan Williams found the back of the net.

Seth Humphreys curled home with 15 minutes to go as Didcot once again clawed their way back to level the scores.

But Simpson had the final say at the death and tucked away the winner to snatch all three points.

It was a winless afternoon for Oxfordshire’s eighth-tier teams.

Elsewhere in the Evo-Stik South West division, having had four matches postponed in a row, Kidlington returned to action with a 3-1 defeat at home to Wimborne Town.

Tobias Holmes stuck the visitors ahead but the Greens levelled through Mark Janes within the opening half hour.

However, Holmes put Wimborne ahead just before the break and netted his hat-trick in the second half.

Struggling North Leigh threw away the lead three times as they drew 3-3 at Yate Town.

Todd Hathaway, Matthew Grabe and George Seacole all netted for Leigh.

In the East division, Thame United went down 4-2 at Fleet Town.

Liam Tack fired the visitors into a fifth minute lead, but the hosts took a 2-1 lead thanks to goals from Toyosi Olusanya and Ashley Lloyd.

Christopher Wales and Bradley Wilson made it 4-1 before Lynton Goss replied with a consolation.

United returned to winning ways with a 3-1 victory at home to lowly Hanwell Town on Tuesday.

The hosts, now 10 points off the play-offs, fell behind on 12 minutes but went in at the break ahead thanks to Dan West and Aston Goss strikes. Tack added the third with a minute to spare.

n Banbury United’s Evo-Stik Southern Premier game at Royston on Saturday was postponed.

Sharing is caring!